Friday, July 8, 2022

 End of term two 2022

It is the last day of the term.  We have all of our staff at school for the first time in almost three weeks.  We have been hit with illness with staff and students and it has been a "trying" final four weeks to ensure we have an adult in front of every class.  Similar to climbing of a mountain, when you see the peak and struggle to the final crest, to then see another wave of hills in the midst and the peak is in fact further on.  I liken the analogy of climbing a mountain, to my role as Principal.  Hugely challenging yet so rewarding.  The hours of work at home and school to ensure that systems are in place for safety, opportunities are there for staff and students to feel a sense of struggle, accomplishment and reward, and to provide a space for top line education drives me forward.  I am surrounded by a wonderful team that excite me and encourage me to be the best that I can.

This week has been celebrating Tumuaki like myself in NZ.  There is a real push to bring attention to the role that Principal's are doing in our schools.  The hours are huge.  The stress can be overwhelming.  But I thrive on the challenge that my role provides and I love it!

When I look back over my 8 years of leading our school as Principal I feel a real sense of accomplishment.  The students faces, smiles, pride, joy, struggles and trials are all part of our day-to-day life.  Trying to ensure whanau feel a welcome part of our journey, strategically planning with the board and our key stakeholders while attempting to keep a balance in the work load for my staff is part of the juggle.  I appreciate being in a Catholic school, embraced by the prayers of our parish.  The partnership is an important part of who we are.

I am looking forward to the term break to rest and replenish.  I usually work right through, but I am exhausted.  The added pressure that covid has put on myself, my staff, our students, whanau and community is huge.  I know we will be OK, but right now rest is required.

I wish our entire community a fabulous term break.  I pray that we come back full of health, excitement and energy to continue with the great learning at PCS.  Thank you to those that continously provide support, awhi and care.  It is much appreciated.

God bless

Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment